Phising with texts – I may be entitled to 3750 pounds!

I just received an unsolicited text from an unknown number saying:

FREEMSG: Our records indicate you may be entitled to 3750 pounds for the Accident you had. To claim for free reply with YES to this msg. To opt out text STOP

It’s definitely a scam, partly because I haven’t even had an accident. A quick google of the message text shows that in the last couple of months this message has hit a lot of people. If you have received a message like this don’t reply with YES, STOP or anything else, as you can guarantee that replying with stop or anything else will just make them send you more messages.

The number mine came from is 07759 854 833, which is an unregistered pay as you go phone, the messages can come from other numbers as well though.

I am planning on my own form of protest though, I shall now be signing the above number up to anything I can find, feel free to do the same, its immature and petty, but it’ll make me feel better.

-MB

Posted in: Rants by Matt Bearman on 6th October 2009 at 3:31 pm
Tags: , , ,

12 Responses to “Phising with texts – I may be entitled to 3750 pounds!” - (Leave a comment)

1. i will be doing the same i am getting texts from 07926026878

Comment by jjxf on 1st February 2010 at 7:21 pm

2. I have just received the exact same text.

I love your lateral thinking, and I will also do the same form of protest you suggest! Thanks for the idea :)

Comment by bob on 18th March 2010 at 3:42 pm

3. Recently I published my personal e-mail address on a discussion board and began to receive numerous phishing emails I report them to the phishtrackers website this can help other people identify the scams.

Comment by Johnathan Miguez on 19th May 2010 at 10:52 pm

4. Re: NEW MOBILE SCAM – you may be entitled to 3750
    These scam companies aint bothered if your on the tps or not they spam you anyway.
    I have just been sent the same message and have contacted both orange (my service provider) and vodafone ( who the sms came from) and both are aware and when you reply they bombard you with sms messages costing £1.50 each! apparently they use pay as you go simcards and dont register them once they have sent alot of sms they simply throw the simcard away.
    the number which mine came from is: 07776233113 and the message reads:

FREEMSG: Our records indicate you may be entitled to 3750 pounds for the recent accident (what recident accident?) To claim for free reply with AID to this msg. to opt out text STOP.

NOTE: texting STOP will not work as all this does is confirm to the spammers/scammers that your number is active!
    if you recive a message like this i wouldnt recommend textong stop to the number for this reason.

Comment by martin on 2nd September 2010 at 7:39 pm

5. It’s definitely a scam ~ simply because I have not had an accident and hope I will not be having one whilst these sick freaks are around. More than likely another Nigerian based scam!

Comment by John Patterson on 28th September 2010 at 4:16 pm

6. Guess it’s a bad day, but I forgot to say that this is the THIRD, same worded message, I have received from this particular number …. 07759 854 833.

The downside with scams like this is the fact that a large percentage of recipients will act on the message instruction in one way or another! As I always say, “Fools rush in where wise men fear to tread.”

Comment by John Patterson on 28th September 2010 at 4:23 pm

7. Mine came from 07770518262

Comment by Kelly on 17th January 2011 at 2:03 pm

8. Mine came from 07591 258987

Comment by Graham on 24th March 2011 at 12:20 pm

9. These messages originate from the offices of http://www.wefightanyclaim.com/index.php?r=site/about same office as YES loans. Get a new mobile number, apply for Yes loans to find you loan companies – don’t pay them, they still sell your number. I guarantee you will receive this spam on that brand new number.

Comment by Spambuster on 1st April 2011 at 8:32 pm

10. I received the same message today from +44 7526 300082

The Information Commissioner, Ofcom and Phonepayplus are proving completely useless in taking any action against these criminal scammers.

Comment by Capvermell on 11th April 2011 at 1:06 pm

11. Mine came from 07796 422086

Comment by Dan on 27th April 2011 at 1:52 pm

12. I replied CLAIM back in order to find out who this was. Few days later (today) I received a phone call from a woman thanking me for replying to the text and wanting to take tsome more details from me. I pretended to be careful of being scammed and if she could confirm the company and website and it belongs to these guys:

Compensation Claims

They are a part of Paragon Ltd. and if you want their website, company name with .co.uk on the end.

I’ve reported them to the ICO and forwarded on all information I have and have even lodged a complaint with the company in question. I did receive a reply back pretending not to know anything and I’ve emailed back asking why the woman thanked me for the text and was ready to take more info from me. Yet to hear anything back.

They’re fishing for hopefuls. So many people on hard times chances are they’ll make a lot of cash on some cases where they can make some money back on a case or two.

Comment by Ivan on 27th April 2011 at 9:04 pm